Dr. George Saslow was a member of the Department of Neuropsychiatry from 1943 to 1955. He earned his MD from Harvard and obtained a PhD in physiology from NYU. He became interested in research pertaining to the psychiatric interview. Like many other members of the Department, he was influenced by Dr. Mandel Cohen from Harvard. After being recruited by Dr. Gildea, Saslow helped develop an outpatient psychosomatic clinic called Medicine D clinic, which opened in 1946. In 1950, Dr. Samuel Guze became the first psychosomatic fellow. Dr. Saslow was known for his talents as a clinical interviewer. He returned to Boston (MGH) in 1955 to work with Dr. Lindemann. Soon after this move, however, he moved to Oregon to become the Chair of the Department of Psychiatry at OHSU. He led that department from 1957 until 1973.