Dr. Ulett joined the Department of Psychiatry in 1950. He became a full professor in 1956. He was interested in research that involved brain stimulation, including electroconvulsive therapy. He established a team of clinical researchers at the city facility, Malcolm Bliss Psychopathologic Institute, in the early/mid 1950s. He became the medical director of Malcolm Bliss in 1956. In the early 1960s, Dr. Ulett became acting director of the Missouri Division of Mental Disease. He eventually left the University and became the permanent director of the Missouri Division of Mental Disease. He was instrumental in Malcolm Bliss becoming a state facility. In the mid 1960s, he helped establish the Missouri Institute of Psychiatry (MIP) at St. Louis State Hospital. Under his supervision, this institute became a major clinical, educational, and research center affiliated with the University of Missouri, Columbia. Dr. Ulett left MIP in the early 1970s and entered private practice.