History Timeline

Department of Neurology and Psychiatry

Until 1938, the Department of Neurology and Psychiatry was part of the Department of Medicine. In 1938, an independent Department of Neuropsychiatry was created and supported by the Rockefeller Foundation for 6 years via two grants of three years each.  In 1955, the Department of Neuropsychiatry was renamed the Department of Psychiatry and Neurology. In 1963, an independent Department of Psychiatry and an independent Department of Neurology were created.